Friday, March 21, 2008

Betsy Winn

Hand Built Pottery

After spending 23 years working as a professional photographer and graphic artist, upon retirement, I sought a new outlet for my creative side. I experimented a lot. I have taken many classes at John Campbell Folk School, painting, wood turning, paper making, enameling. Finally I tried a hand building pottery class at Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation. Before the end of the 8 week class I had my own kiln and started a new adventure.

My first instructor taught me that just because something starts out as a tea cup doesn’t mean it has to stay a tea cup. I love the serendipity of hand building. I can be very precise with angles and shapes to build a lidded box or I can slam the clay around until it tells me where it wants to go. I find inspiration in nature. I use leaves for imprints, I use bark for texturing and often incorporate frogs and lizards in my designs.

For about five years I have specialized in wall and Ikebana vases. I am currently studying under Jerry Chappell of Happy Valley Pottery, he is pushing me out of my comfortable place. Who knows where this will take me.

I have a small studio at my home in Farmington,GA I work outside as often as possible while listening to music and taking breaks to play with my 2 dogs, Zoey and Zach

No comments: